Friday 27 November 2015

Friday Rhapsody Of Realities - What's Your Name?

And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob (Genesis 32:26-27).
As a Christian, it’s important that the name you answer doesn’t contradict the Word or what you believe about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. So, if you haven’t found out the meaning of your name, do so; and if the meaning isn’t consistent with who you are in Christ, change it. The name you answer is a major confession in your life, because your name is your destiny.

The Lord Jesus changed Simon’s name to “Peter” for this same reason (Matthew 16:17-18). “Simon” means a reed that’s swayed in the wind; and that’s exactly how the man behaved. He would be courageous and full of faith one day, and doubting the next. But, “Peter” means a stone founded on a rock; by calling him Peter, the Master was revealing to him a new destiny and purpose.
Moreover, when Jacob had an encounter with the Lord, before the Lord blessed him, He had to change his name from Jacob to Israel. What was the connection between his name and the blessing? The name “Jacob” means “swindler,” or “deceiver.” God wasn’t going to bless a “swindler” or a “deceiver”; He had to change his name to Israel first. He did the same with Abraham. Abraham had God’s promise upon his life, but his name had to be changed before the promise could be fulfilled: “Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee” (Genesis 17:5).
So, I ask you, what is your name? When your name is translated, what does it mean? Answer the right name! You shouldn’t bear a name that’s not consistent with what God’s Word says about you. Maybe your parents named you to reflect their rough experiences in life; but now you can do something about it. It doesn’t matter if it’s your first name or your last name; if it doesn’t agree with the Word, change it!

PRAYER: Dear heavenly Father, I thank you for the revelation of your Word that enlightens me on who I am in Christ. I’m in the centre of your will, where all things synchronize and function for my advantage. The Name of Jesus is named upon me, and I walk in my inheritance in Christ, in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Further Study: Genesis 17:15-16 And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. 16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.
Genesis 32:27-30 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. 28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. 29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. 30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

1-Year Bible Reading Plan: 2 Peter 1, Ezekiel 37-38
2-Year Bible Reading Plan: John 15:11-19, 1 Chronicles 27

No comments:

Post a Comment