Sunday 18 December 2016

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2016: Andy Murray wins for a record third time

                          
Andy Murray has been voted the BBC Sports Personality of the Year for a record third time.
Murray, the 2013 and 2015 winner, took Olympic gold, claimed his second Wimbledon title and became tennis' world number one in a remarkable 2016.

Triathlete Alistair Brownlee was second and show jumper Nick Skelton third.

Winner Andy Murray, speaking live from Miami: "I'd like to thank everyone who voted, I really appreciate your support. And I'd like to thank my team, they make a lot of sacrifices for me, they're away form their family at times of the year like this. 
"Also I'd like to thank my family. I think my mum is in the crowd there, my dad as as well, he just got married 10 days ago, I miss you guys. 
"I'd like to say a huge thanks to my wife and my daughter, who won't know what this means yet, but maybe in a few years she will.
"Actually, I've got a bone to pick with my wife because about an hour ago she told me she'd voted for Nick Skelton. Not smart from her with Christmas coming up.
"It's been a great year for British sport and I am so proud to have been a part of it." 

Leicester are announced as team of the year...and the whole squad miss their cue to get out of their seats and go to the stage!


Here's record-breaking swimmer Michael Phelps, who is being honoured with the lifetime achievement award this evening.
The American, 31, won his 23rd Olympic gold in his final Games in Rio.
The most decorated Olympian of all time, he claimed five golds and a silver this year.
He joins a star-studded list of previous lifetime award winners also including former footballer Pele and ex-golfer Seve Ballesteros.


American gymnast Simone Biles has won the 2016 BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year award.
The 19-year-old broke new ground with a series of dazzling routines as she secured four gold medals at the Rio Olympics.
Victory in the floor event added to her all-around, vault and team titles.
Described by some observers as the best of all time, she was the first American and fifth female to win four gymnastics gold medals at a single Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment